First try

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Inside Out Learning week 1


We started our IOL program in two schools! On Wednesday and Thursday we went to a private school named Loamo Primary School. We trained 16 teachers in the IOL program at Loamo. At first I was very nervous about the language barrier. Most of the teachers do not understand English so we really had to focus on speaking slow and using  a lot of visual aides. The teachers were very receptive to our lesson plans. At first the teachers were very timid to answer our questions and respond to anything we said. However, towards the end of our second day the teachers were all laughing and joking around with us! They loved the lessons we were teaching.

On Friday we were able to go volunteer at Loamo and play sports and games with the students. Seriously every kid there had rhythm! I was embarrassed to dance with them! As we were leaving the Head Master of the school told me he was so happy I had come to the school to volunteer because I brought warmth to him, the teachers, and the students. It really made me feel good! I know it will be hard leaving these students behind. They are all so happy and energetic! Whenever we come into the schools all of the kids just want to tough our hands. As soon as I give one student a hi five, twenty more studens come swarming around trying to touch the Mzungu. They have also started petting my hair, they are all amazed at how my hair curls. It is super cute.

Friday we also started teaching IOL in Suye Primary School. At this school we trained another 10 teachers. I was even more nervous to teach IOL in this school because none of the teachers could understand English. We had to break into small groups often but in the end they understood everything we said! It was so neat! By they end they were all making goals about including all 8 intelligences into their curriculum so all of their students could learn well. It was so cool!

I am very excited for the second week of IOL. I am eager to see what the teachers learn and also what they can teach me as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment